Thursday, July 31, 2008

I promise, you'll like this one!


O.K. I have found the fountain of youth!! Well, not really. But I have found the best chocolate cake recipe you will ever eat! It's located on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa box. I've made it many, many times and every time Daron comments that it tastes better than the box kind. It's so easy to make and it's well worth the extra effort to make your cake from scratch. And the good news is that you probably have all the ingredients on hand so you can make it tonight. All you need to buy is some icing. I rarely make a chocolate cake from the box any more. Try it for yourself, you will probably agree!

A bit of advice: I tried the frosting recipe on the Hershey's box and didn't like it. It has a strong cocoa flavor. Also don't try and cheat and use self-rising flour. Tired it, it turned out gooey. Yuck!

Here it is:

Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

2 c. sugar
1-3/4 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. Hershey's Cocoa
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. boiling water

1. Heat oven to 350 deg. Grease and flour a 9in.x13in. pan or two 9-in. baking pans.
2. Combine dry ingredients in bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla: Beat on med. speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour into pan.
3. Bake 30-35 min. or until wooded pick inserted comes out clean. Cool 10 min. Remove from pan. Cool completely. Frost with icing. 10-12 servings. Enjoy!!

4 comments:

Kyleen said...

Sounds wonderful! Please tell me you didn't use store bought icing on a cake made from scratch :-)

Anna said...

Did you make the one in the picture? It's really pretty! I wll try it- although I love the homeade icing. I love the butter and cocoa flavor rather than in the container.

Kyleen said...

Hey girlie...the pina colada cake was good but was very "rummy" not sure that you would like it, actually. The rum gives it a great flavor (if you like rum); without the rum, I would think it would be "nothing special." Let me know if you still want the recipe, and if so, I'll be happy to post. Love you!

Anna said...

Okay- I thought I was behind! Where are you girl?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Pumpkin Patch