Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Childlike Faith

There are some days when you wonder when you will see spiritual fruit in your kids, and then there are days you are in amazement at their level of faith. Today, I got a beautiful glimpse at that fruit in Rebekah, and it was....Oh! So Sweet!

The kids were excited because we had made plans to go to the library. There were several movies we were going to pick up but the main reason we had to go was because we had a library book that had been several days overdue and needed to be returned. I had intentionally placed the book by my purse to help remind me about it. Later that afternoon we loaded up and left in route to the library and about half way there I realized we left without the book. So....we u-turned and went back home to retrieve this book. I knew exactly where I had placed it so I quickly ran into the house to get the book. But to my surprise, it was not there. I immediately became frustrated because I knew one of the kids took off with it and there was no telling where this book could have disappeared to.

I stomped outside to the car and commanded that the kids get out and help in the search for the missing book. (Hey! This sounds like a good title to a Nancy Drew book:-) Well to my dismay, the book was no where to be found. Of course, I did have two 6 yr. olds and a 3 yr. old looking. What did I really expect?

I quickly became flustered and announced "WE ARE NOT GOING TO THE LIBRARY IF WE DO NOT FIND THIS BOOK!" The kids immediately became horrified. And the search was taken more seriously at this point. After 10 min. of looking, Rebekah piped up and said "You know Mommy, when I can't find something I ask Jesus to help me find it. Maybe if we pray He will show us where it is." I stopped dead in my tracks and stood there in awe at my daughter. It was at that moment that I rejoiced. Here, my 6 yr. old daughter got it! She realized that only Jesus could help us. We stopped right there and she prayed the simplest of prayers. "Jesus please help us find this book."
Lo and behold! Not a minute later I found it tucked behind our very dusty fake tree. We took time at that moment to thank the Lord for his faithfulness and goodness. I used this teachable moment to point out to them that what Rebekah demonstrated was called faith, believing in Jesus when we need help and trusting Him to do it.

It was a beautiful moment for me, to witness the childlike faith from my daughter that Jesus wants us all to have. It makes all that I do so worth it when I see that they are growing in the Lord. I love these moments, they are priceless!

2 comments:

Anna said...

So Sweet!

Jill said...

that is so neat! I love how Jesus uses our children to remind us that HE is there!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Pumpkin Patch