Saturday, December 19, 2009

Suet Recipe

Ok My birds love, love the suet I make for them.  They devour it and unfortunetly so do the squirrels, our 10 squirrels!  Yes, you read that correctly- 10!!  I'm so angry with them I want to scream!  They won't leave my suet alone!!  I have reverted to buying them their own food in hopes that this will help, but so far no luck.  Daron is getting a live trap so we can hopefully tote them away...far away!!  It's a party out there for them with some free food and my poor birds get the short end of the suet feeder. :-)  Well it got so mad yesterday that I hunted Daron's Bebe gun to shot them myself but unfortunately the Bebe got stuck in the barrel.  They won again yesterday but not for long!!  Well now that my venting is over I would like to share our recipe for some delicious, home cooked suet.  Hope you try it, well not really try it, but hope you try to make some for your birds they'll love it!  I got this recipe from our Science curriculum-Apologia's Flying Creatures on the Fifth Day.

Smart Suet
  • Small plastic zippered bags
  • Mesh bag or suet cage (Walmart sells them for about 1.25)
  • Stove
  • Pot
  • Stirring spoon
  • Freezer
  • 2 cups crunchy peanut butter
  • 2 cups lard (NOT Shortening!)
  • 4 cups rolled old-fashioned oats (not quick oats!)
  • 4 cups cornmeal (not cornmeal mix!)
  • 2/3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 cup bird seed
1.  Start by melting the peanut butter and lard on low heat.
2.  Stir in the remaining ingredients.
3.  Scoop into the plastic bags.
4.  Put the bags in the freezer to harden.
5.  Place the suet from one bag in suet cage.
6.  Hang your suet on a tree.
7.  Enjoy watching them devour your suet you made for them!

1 comment:

Anna said...

We ended up putting whole peanuts in ours and raisins- the woodpeckers looved them- our little house sparrows were funny rolling them with thier beaks. I cannot believe you have 10 squirrels- we have 3- not 10. They are fiesty little things!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Pumpkin Patch