Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Yum..., that smells good!


Those who know me really well, know that there are two things I really enjoy doing. One is baking and the other is making homemade bread. There is nothing better than the smells of bread baking in the oven! My kids come running into the kitchen begging for that first warm bite. I typically use the bread machine to knead the bread but on a really bad day, I find it very therapeutic to beat and slap that dough around by hand. Don't ask me why, but it really works! Try it you'll agree. :) I have included my favorite bread recipe. I've been using it of several years. People always comment how good it is. Hope you attempt to try it.


1 cup warm water (not hot!)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1/8 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 package active dry yeast (1/4oz.)

**If you plan on using a bread machine, skip step one. Simply add first 7 ingredients into machine, leaving the yeast as the last one to add. Set your machine on "knead only". Once it's done kneading go to step 2.

1. In large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar, salt, eggs, oil and wheat flour, beat until smooth. Stir in the white flour until it forms a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead bread until it is smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.

2. Place in greased bowl, turning once so top is greased. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled about 1 hour. Punch dough down with your fist to allow the air to escape. Take it out and shape into a loaf (no need to roll it out). Spray your pan with a non-stick spray, and place dough in the loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 375 deg. for 25-30 minutes. Remove and let cool. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Kyleen said...

Hello there friend! Can't wait to try it. My mom's giving me her bread machine, so, I will give it a tray. Okay, so I did this blogging thing :-). Said I'd never to a myspace and did that last year, then thought I'd never do a blog...well, I am learning to never say never :-)! BTW...my chicken salad salad last night was AMAZING! I'll post a picture tonight with the recipe for you. Love you ALWAYS!
Me

Anna said...

I guess all that pent up frustration is let loose on that poor bread- bet it makes for some good eating. The kids can enjoy eating your frustration rather than hear it. ha...ha

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Pumpkin Patch